Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Heart Doctor Visit

We saw our cardiologist today! How funny that my 1 month old baby has a cardiologist. But that he does. I love his cardiologist. She is so amazing and bright. She's the same age as me, so it's kinda strange to look at what life paths people take. I try to organize a party for 200 people on board a cruise ship--she saves baby's lives. Her name is Meg and she's a lot of fun and just excited to be helping people. :) (In fact, one of her friends is the baby's pediatrician--they remind me a lot of each other!)

ANYHOW... we started the day with a little surprise. He was going back to sleep at 6am. He doesn't do that. Usually he lets me get to bed and then "WAH!" But today, since I needed to be up, he thought he would go to sleep. We got him into the car and off to the doctor's. He doesn't like the car. Most babies love the car, mine will only tolerate it if we're on the freeway, otherwise he says: "WAH!"

When we got to the doctor, I had to visit the restroom to unload the 40lb diaper that he made for me while yelling, then we went to get weighed and measured. I didn't see how long he was, but this kid is now just over 9lbs!!! This was followed by our echo. The ultrasound went really well, with one pause in the middle to heat up his bottle when he got too fussy. It was during his breakfast time and he wanted some. Then, for fun, he loaded his pants once again.

His O2 levels were sitting around 95/96, which is normal because after he got his tummy full and emptied it, he fell asleep. Zzzzz. They poked, proded and did whatever they could to him and he just took it all so well!

The heart looks and sounds great, and I felt a burst of happiness when my cardiologist used the statement, "When they removed his heart disease..." Oh how wonderful! There is no sign of the turbulent blood flow or the stiff chamber, so those issues worked themselves out.

What they are looking at now: When they do the switch, the little things (such as the connections to the lungs) that were attached to the arteries are now stretched a little further because of the new placement. They just are watching to make sure that everything stays in a good spot and there are no issues from the stretching. But all looks well at this point.

As my cardiologist said, "He's so freakin' cute!"

We need to go back: next month.

They took him off one dose of his Lasix (this drug that makes him have to weeeeeee a lot). We're keeping everything else the same now, as they don't like to muck with too much at a time. Which is fine with me. I would like him off more of the drugs, but I'll take what I can get.

After the doctor's, we went and visited my work. :) It was so great to see everyone. Caleb announced he was there with a "WAH!" and after he gathered everyone around him he promptly went to sleep. He's heavy to carry around now, the little porker! :) My arm is tired!! But he was introduced to most everyone, but we kept it short. It was getting close to lunch time and he's still "new."

Speaking of lunch time, I need to get working on that!

1 comment:

JillyGirl said...

It was so great to see Caleb! :) I can't wait to see him when I'm NOT sick and can actually get close to him. hehe...He's such a cutie.