Thursday, April 5, 2007

Caleb's First Days, part I

Right before my son's birth, my room was filled with doctors. The door opened up and they started pouring in! After 16 hours of labor... I pushed for about an hour, and then my doctor caught little Caleb as he came into the world. He wasn't too impressed with it, apparently, as he tried to grasp anything in his path--from my cord to the doctor's scissors. He was unsuccessful in organizing his escape, however. The doctors took him, cleaned him off, stuck a cap on him and wrapped him like a baby burrito.

I was allowed a few minutes to say hello--I remember it being about one minute altogether, and then they took him and went to the ICU. Eric went up with him, and I was left to be sewn back up. After a while Eric came back down and we sat about waiting. Then right before they took the baby to Children's hospital he was "packaged" and brought down to see us. We had the chance to poke at him inside a little plastic box. He was sedated, on a vent, and couldn't care less about us!

Eric took the ambulance to Children's, and signed a million papers and met a million doctors. I was back at the hospital, trying to get a nap between a million nurses and a million checkups. But, I was doing alright so I was allowed to leave after 12 hours after giving birth.

And... this is where I have to say that I'm taking the time to nap for the evening. :) More to come, including meeting him in the hospital, and holding him again!!!

Sorry kids.... I'm really tired :(

Special thanks to Kate for helpnig so much... she drove us around everywhere, sat and listened to me cry and whine, watched my epidural, held my leg during labor (Eric was the co-pilot on the other leg) and had the decency to tell me that I did a "good job" even with all my whining. :) Thank you Kate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <3

No comments: