Sunday, April 22, 2007

We're doing what?!

I arrived today to hear that they were trying to move the baby to the floor (not the actual floor, mind you, but the regular wards). They were trying to find an open bed with enough nursing staff. Well, I panicked like any good mother would. The nurse gave me a packet to ease my fears.

Yeah right. But he didn't move today, although he is scheduled to move to the floor tomorrow. What this means for him: He will have a nurse or a student nurse, and her patient ratio will be 1:3 all the way to 1:6 instead of his current 1:2. However, he will officially be on the road to coming home. He will lose his solo room, and he will not necesarily be paired with an infant--his roommate could be anyone. So you can see my excitement and my worries.

Tomorrow I will see what the deal is.

I got to hold him a lot today! :) He is so sweet and so much looking like his old self. He is wearing clothes now. He got rid of the central line in his crotch and instead has received an IV in his foot. He was taking liquids in it, but they stopped those and decided to put him on breastmilk for his only liquids.

The baby's tummy is still "sleepy" from surgery, though, and he's having some tummy troubles. Big bad nasty #2's that don't feel too good, and the food isn't quite staying down the way that it should. He finished half a bottle today only to show me the same half once again in my lap. The 2nd half went down and stayed down. His system just has to "work it out" although they gave him something to help stop his puking (ironically he puked up the first dose of that with the milk).

If you've ever had surgery, then you might know this feeling. For him, he turns red, cries a little, but is still comforted by touch and a binky. His cry is still small and hoarse from the tubes he had in his throat. For this reason they think that everything is still swollen in there, and that's why he is still on O2 thru the nose.

They tried to take off the O2 thru the nose this morning, but it didn't work. His sats dropped, and he de-sated while trying to eat without that support. Again, he just needs a little time. And, please note--he dropped to the 80s, NOT the 40s!! Mostly the little bug just sits there happily at 100% nowadays. What a change!

Did I get to feed him today? Well, yeah, through a bottle. They are still monitoring his ins/outs very closely, especially with this new habit of puking. So the baby will have to wait to try anything new like breastfeeding. After all, he was having a little bit of issues today. He didn't like any of the nipples they had on site for the bottles, so they actually went down to the U-villiage and bought him a Dr. Brown's... it's a funny looking bottle, but apparently it works wonders, and he did actually eat with it.

He looks so wonderful, so much like himself. I look at him and nearly cry from being so happy (ok, so occasionally I do cry, but I'm a new mom, aren't I supposed to do that??). He actually interrupted my reading again today because he is getting so active and awake. Ooh--I don't know if I mentioned it, but we're currently reading the Chronicals of Narnia. We are done with the 1st book and 1/2 way thru the 2nd. He usually reacts to my reading with: Zzzzzzz. Kids. :)

No comments: