Monday, April 16, 2007

Update yet again...

So many updates, so little time. :)

I just talked with the surgeon. He said that things did go very well. When the baby first came off the heart/lung machine there was a slight malfunction with one side of one of his walls of his heart. They watched it closely, and in about 45 minutes it was functioning normally. He said that it can happen if some air gets into one of the coronary arteries, but all during that time his blood pressures and other stats were beautiful.

His O2 sats are at 100%. So that machine has been sucessfully SHUT UP! Of course he'll have other bells/whistles going off for a while, but that darn O2 monitor will just have to deal with being silenced.

The valve that they were looking at that was 2-sided... well, it's a little thickened, but it does actually have THREE sides just like a normal valve. The surgeon said the function of the valve was just fine, so he doesn't forsee any future problems with anything, despite the thickening.

He mentioned that the little guy has got some rough patches to get thru here in the next few days, but he said he expects him to do just fine. He left the chest open even though he thinks there is enough room. He just wanted to be extra careful about that heart wall and to keep looking at it. He expects to close his chest on Wednesday if all goes well. :)

I told him that I'd kiss him if it were appropriate--he offered a handshake instead.

So, thank you so much once again for everyone's support! Truely I think that it helped my little baby get thru this surgery. I know that it will help him get through these next several days and to the time when we're walking him through our front door! <3 I will keep you updated as the updates come!

2 comments:

Heather Papineau said...

Amy, I am so happy everything went well today. I was thinking of little Caleb all day. I can't wait to see you and your little one! We love you guys and hope you are both home as soon as humanly possible. ~heather & josh

Heather Papineau said...

Amy, I am so happy everything went well today. I was thinking of little Caleb all day. I can't wait to see you and your little one! We love you guys and hope you are both home as soon as humanly possible. ~heather & josh