Monday, April 16, 2007

Early Day

I got up this morning just after 5:30... I would have gotten up at 5:30, but it's still hard to pull my butt out of bed. In any case, I got up, got ready and was on the road at a little after 6am. The traffic wasn't bad, but it wasn't exactly light or dark out. It was very gray indeed--I hear it may be stormy today.

In any case, I got to the hospital a little before 7. Caleb was sleeping in his crib with no worries. They installed an IV line last night, and it was dripping saline in. His O2 thru his nose was gone--they were using a "hydrated blow" which is just O2 blowing in his face that has some moisture in it. His nose was very dry, so they did this to help out his "snuffling" that he had been having.

I sat in the rocking chair that newly arrived yesterday in his room and just kinda waited around. I didn't want to touch him, as I didn't want to wake him. Apparently he'd been happily sleeping since 2am when he was fed last, and I definitely didn't want to wake him up. The nurse told me the updated time to take him to the OR was 8am.

About 7:30, I spoke with the anesthesiologists (I cheated on that word... I had to look up how to spell it) and I spoke with the head nurse that will be in the OR. They explained what they were going to do in there. They asked me some questions and then they started getting Caleb ready for surgery.

He was pretty unhappy with the little poking that they did, but he took it well. He just squeeked a little and didn't make a fuss. When I got up to see if I could calm him down, he was just looking at the doctors with those big blue eyes, almost like he knew that this was the day that he was going to be fixed up. I talked to him some, but I have to admit that made me a little teary eyed. I have been having random bursts of waterworks thru the morning. He ended up bored with all that junk and went back into a light doze.

When they got him all ready for moving him, they let me walk to him until we were nearly to the OR rooms. It wasn't far at all, and now I know what is just behind those doors right over there. They stopped and let me kiss his little head and talk to him for a minute. Mama was very brave right here, and neither Caleb or I ended up making a fuss. Then they took him back to the OR.

My first update should be in about another hour here... they are going to put something in his IV to knock him out, then add a few lines in him (one wrist or thigh, one central line). They'll hook him up to all sorts of machines, and when that is all finished up they'll let me know. I should get several updates thru the day.

Right now I'm sitting in the ICU waiting area. They're cleaning up his room (I hope he gets the same one back after the operation--I wanted to remember to tell my boss Lisa that he has little lady bugs painted on his door). I just ate breakfast down at the cafeteria. Now I just get to sit here and wait... Oy. I found an area where I can just sit by myself, but this place typically gets loud later in the day with large families and many excited children.

Well... everyone is doing their part, and now my little bug is going to be working on his. Stay strong, my little Caleb. Show them your strong spirit and your will to come home. Make them remember that you're a tough little guy, and mama will be here waiting for you when you're out of surgery!! We'll read some more chapters of the book we're working on, and I'll put your music on again. <3

As for the rest of you... I'll keep you updated.

No comments: