Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Feeding Tubes, Blood Clots and IVs, Oh my!

This morning I was running a little late, and I admit it was because of my reluctance to go to the hospital. I was up in time to get over the bridge before traffic started, but instead I puttered around the house and went back to bed for a little bit. I think Eric was a little annoyed at this because he likes to have the bed to himself in the morning. :)

In any case, I arrived just before 11. I was walking into the room as the ultrasound tech was walking out. "How is the clot?" I asked. I wasn't going to ask--usually they tell you that "the doctor will look at it and contact you later in the day" but he stopped when he saw me. "That's the funny thing with clots of that size," he said. "They're so tiny and you can't really tell if it's just part of the healing or if it's a clot, and it's there from one angle and then not from another... but I'm sure you want to hear this from a doctor."

Eh? Really? No clot! Presently my little baby was hollaring his head off inside the room, so I went in to see him. The head nurse and her assistant were busy poking and proding the baby. He was busy tossing his head back and screaming, kicking, and turning red with severe anger. Not a happy little bug indeed. They were busy taking him off the heparin and... unplugging him from all the monitors.

"So... does this mean he gets to go home today?"

Bah. Of course the answer was no. They're still disappointed with his feeds. They would like him to be taking more, and he's refusng to take the whole bottles. Why? Well, generally he gets tired (it's very common with "cardiac kids"). They wanted to keep him in the hospital until his feeds were up. Mom wants to take him home. The solution: The NG tube. The feeding tube.

The baby will continue to feed by mouth, but anything that is leftover we will give him via feeding tube. Typically he is taking about 5-25ml by tube out of 60, so not a lot. It's important that he gets all this liquid (which is fortified with extra calories) because he needs more than the average baby his size. He needs a lot of calories just to grow, but he also needs extra to help him heal.

I learned how to insert his feeding tube (oh wow he was yelling at me--but that actually helps you insert the tube), how to check the placement, feed him and flush the tube afterwards. We will get all the supplies for this. Hopefully he will need this for less than a week.

So he does have a feeding tube now. But... but...

THE BABY WILL BE COMING HOME TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eric, who has managed to come to the hospital about 5 times, has elected to be on "reception duty." This will include vacuuming the upstairs where the baby's room is and getting anything else ready that we forgot at the last minute. I will be on baby retreval duty, which includes getting up before the fricken crack of dawn in order to sit in rush hour traffic. :)

But, on the way back home... I will not be leaving my little baby behind.

Of course, this all depends on his night... and how peeved I made the head nurse after telling her off yesterday. Please note that is probably why I do not have my baby sitting next to me today... well, I won't comment on that one.

I'll have to update everyone tomorrow.... :D

2 comments:

Dietra said...

Oh hurray for screaming babies!!!! Aren't feeding tubes wonderful?? I'm so glad you get to bring him home!

JillyGirl said...

How wonderful! :) Now you can hold him whenever the heck you want to! :)