Friday, April 13, 2007

New digs for the baby!

Caleb was moved from the IICU/NICU to the PICU. Besides the fancy name change, he also has received his own private room. It has a sleeping couch in it for a parent, a larger bed (because he needs a larger bed??), a window, and every wire, etc, that was in the last room. He is looking even smaller in his big new crib.

This area of the hospital (actually the same area, but they treat it like it's a whole new country--you should have seen the reaction when I asked if we could bring the CD player he was using from one room to the other) is just for heart patients. There are children of various ages in here, and at the moment Caleb is the only infant. The nurses aren't as concerned about his O2 sats as they were in the regular NICU. They don't care if he drops to 40 as long as he pops back up and doesn't "look blue."

Well, as you can imagine this concerns his mother. When he dropped down to 40 before is when he had his "episode" of not breathing. I did NOT like that. I want to see him sitting in the 70s at least, thankyouverymuch. They say it's not an issue for him to drop as long as he comes up again. I say it's scary.

He is getting fed more now--they have upped the intake of liquid for him, so he's getting more food. This is good for many reasons, not the least is that it makes him happier. When he gets his food, he now seems more satisfied, and in fact he had a much better day as far as crankiness goes. He is still gassy from the extra calories, but he slept nearly all day as opposed to the grumpy Caleb that has been with us the past three days.

How does Caleb feel? The nurse put it a good way today. She talked about how his stats should be 60+. When a normal adult stands about 14,000 feet their O2 sats are about 80. When they exercise, they drop rapidly causing shortness of breath, crankiness, and just general discomfort. So you can imagine that this little baby is feeling a little "off."

As soon as the heart/lung machine starts up, his sats will go up to normal, and I imagine that will be a big relief. Once he's thru the surgery and off the vent, he will be able to start feeling like a normal baby.

How wonderful for us not to panic when he cries, or worry that a bout of bad gas will send him into a downward spiral. The next few days will be hard, waiting for the surgery.

Tomorrow hopefully Eric will be back at the hospital. He hasn't been since Sunday because he's been feeling a little under the weather. It's horrid timing. I hope that I do not get sick, because you can imagine they are rather strict at the hospital with visiting.

I have fallen head over heels in love with this little baby. He's mine, he's really mine!

I want to thank everyone for all the good thoughts, prayers, meditations and letters. They have been so wonderful, and Caleb and I appreciate every one of them. I believe that all this love and support will help him through this time. I thought I had many good friends. Now I know that I have more than friends--I have an extended family who has offered us wonderful support and kindness. Thank you all, and I'm sure if he could Caleb would thank you as well--but at the moment I think he would probably appreciate a warm bottle. *smile* Don't worry, when he's older, he'll know. :)

3 comments:

me said...

Seriously, find a place to print out that amulet.

JillyGirl said...

Good Morning Amy & Caleb! So happy to hear that yesterday was a better day...and you even got a new room to boot! Bigger beds are always better, even if you can't move about! :)

Just think...if Caleb thinks he's "exercising" all day, he'll be in REALLY good shape!..??? hehe..trying to look on the bright side here. :P

Love you guys!

Terry, Tammy & Brittany said...

I have been requesting from everyone that I see or talk to that they say a prayer for Caleb. In fact, one lady named Donna is going to "raise him up in church" and say a special prayer for him tomorrow morning. P.S. this lady has a nephew named CALEB that had the same exact heart problem...and he is a healthy happy little boy!!