Saturday, April 21, 2007

Feeding tube? Bah on your feeding tube!

So... I arrived in the morning to find that my little one was dressed in jammies. Yes, that's right--they gave him clothes again! He was down to three swirling lines on the monitors. The big IV on his arm was gone.

The IV ran away when it couldn't be flushed. The clothes came when the nurse decided that he no longer needed a warmer. Later in the morning a crib showed up and he was installed in a new one--but NOT BEFORE I GOT TO HOLD HIM!!!!

Yes, I got to hold my sweet little baby once again!! I didn't want to let him go...

But I had to go get him some lunch. So I was packing up my gear to go pump, and something the nurse said suddenly struck me funny. He ate 1 oz of milk earlier and 1/2 oz the last time. I looked at the baby. There was no feeding tube. He was taking milk through the bottle!! They decided to skip the feeding tube unless he wasn't going to eat enough. I was shocked. The nurse said that he wouldn't eat too much because he's still on the fats and lipids so he wouldn't be too hungry, but my little one was eating again!

The nurse asked me if I had the chance to nurse him yet. I said no, and she said that we might try that tomorrow depending on how he is doing. Oh my... really?? She said that we're now getting ready to go "to the floor." And you know what that means? We're on our way to bringing the little one home!

He was awake for several hours today, just kind of hanging out and looking around. He's so quiet and watchful. The nurse messed with him several times today and the most he did to her was mess his face up and give her a "Ehhhh." He's feeling so much better--he didn't feel the need to yell at her, even when she took his blood pressure 3xs in a row!

He's looking so much more like himself, and his rash is pretty much gone. He's amazing. I can't wait until tomorrow when I get to hold him again!

2 comments:

JillyGirl said...

Yahooooo! Can't wait until he's home! :)

Tania said...

Oh I am so happy to hear all of this! You know I am keeping up! I am sending the good hawaiian vibes his way!!!!